You may have seen kava and kratom bars near you and heard of the beneficial effects of both herbs. So, you may be wondering if you can take kava and kratom together, or you should just stick to one.
Both can be extremely beneficial and aid with a variety of conditions, though they are not the same and cannot serve as a replacement for each other.
Let’s first review what they are and then find out whether you can take kava and kratom together.
Kava and Kratom: What Are They?
Kava is a shrub from the pepper family native to the western Pacific Islands, Micronesia, and Polynesia. People make kava root drink due to its anesthetic, euphoriant, and psychotropic effects.
Kava helps relieve stress and anxiety, as well as help with sleep issues and improve the mood. As per its pain-relieving effects, it primarily affects muscles, easing, and relieving muscle tension and soreness.
In the meantime, kratom is a tree from the coffee family indigenous to Southeast Asia. People choose kratom to receive potent pain relief, relaxation, stimulation, and more.
Kratom is significantly more potent in terms of pain relief. It can be effective to help people ease different kinds of intense pain, stemming from health conditions such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, Lyme disease, and more. This is why many opt for kratom as a means of overcoming opioid and prescription medication addiction.
To learn more about the similarities as well as differences between kava and kratom, please see this post on kava vs. kratom.
Can You Mix Kava and Kratom?
There are certain benefits to taking kava and kratom together. Nonetheless, it should be done in moderation and only sometimes rather than on a daily basis. Consistently taking the two in tandem can have drawbacks and potential health risks. The kava kratom combo may also not be for everyone.
You should, however, under no circumstances mix kava and kratom with alcohol or any kind of medication or drugs. If you choose to take both herbs together, it’s best that you take them exclusively.
Both herbs have their own set of benefits. When taken together, they can provide:
- significant stress, anxiety, and depression relief,
- relaxation and improved sleep,
- better mood and feeling of well-being even after having experienced stressful situations,
- alertness, better focus, and clarity of mind, as well as
- strong pain relief.
The Drawbacks and Risks
Despite the benefits listed above and the fact that when taken exclusively and mindfully kratom is safe, kava has some concerning side effects which can become more potent when kava and kratom together. Some of them are:
- nausea and vomiting, especially if taking doses that are too high,
- dehydration and dry skin,
- mood swings,
- reduced appetite and weight loss,
- potential liver and kidney damage, especially if one already has health problems associated with them.
Similarly to kratom, there are not many studies on kava in the United States. Moreover, some studies point out the potential toxicity of kava and possible liver and kidney damage resulting from its long-term use.
How to Take Kava and Kratom Together Safely?
Though kratom has been proven to be safe through the Kratom 8-Factor Analysis, no long-term studies are covering its regular use in tandem with kava. Moreover, each of these herbs geographically originates from a different region, and there is no historical evidence of them being taken together.
There is no way to certainly state whether taking kava and kratom together is completely safe or if there are any long-term risks involved. Nonetheless, numerous people swear by the mix and report feeling good after taking kava and kratom together.
Tips for Taking Kava and Kratom
If you choose to mix kava and kratom, below are some tips from the kratom community:
- Choose moderate kratom strains such as green vein or yellow kratom. These strains are moderately energizing yet not too potent as white vein kratom to make anxiety or depression worse.
- Accurately measure your doses. Be mindful when preparing the mix, and do not exceed your doses. This can make you feel sick, nauseous, and cause vomiting. This is also important in the long term. Do not increase your doses as that may lead to increased tolerance.
- Take pure kratom and pure kava. Avoid using products that contain any additional substances. There is no way of telling how they may interact, and contain combinations may even be dangerous.
- Buy kava and kratom form trusted and reputable vendors. Since both herbs are sold in their raw botanical form, buying from established vendors with good reputations will drastically decrease any risk of adulteration or contamination.
- Don’t take the mix on an empty stomach. Having some food in your stomach will make it less likely for you to feel sick.
- Mix kava and kratom only if you have experience with both. Generally, the kratom community recommends taking about 2-6 grams of kratom and 15-25 grams of kava. However, you should have experienced each of them individually before mixing them. This will ensure that you know the exact dosages that your body needs and how your body responds to each of the herbs.
As per the methods of mixing both herbs, kratom lovers recommend one of the below:
- Preparing and drinking each beverage separately, or
- Making a drink out of the two. Many recommend mixing the herbs with milk rather than water to mask their taste and strain any residual powder or root matter. Kratom tends to taste bitter, while kava has an earthy flavor that can resemble muddy water. Some people may find the combination unpleasant.
Due to the lack of reliable scientific information on the topic, we strongly suggest that you always proceed with caution and ensure that you have no health conditions or issues that may be aggravated by the mix. As mentioned before, never take them together with alcohol, drugs, or medication. Avoid taking the combination of the herbs if you are expecting or nursing.
Have you taken kava and kratom together? Would you recommend it to others? Don’t hesitate to share any useful tips with our readers and us.